Hoard's Dairyman Mechanic Requirements and Submission Details
1. Trim size: 10-1/4 inches by 14-1/4 inches
2. Column dimensions:
Single-column width — 13 picas (2-1/6 inches)
Double-column width — 27 picas (4-1/2 inches)
Column depth — 182 lines or 13 inches
3. Non-bleed specifications:
9-1/8 inches (wide) x 13 inches (deep)
JUNIOR PAGE (429 lines)
7 inches (wide) x 10 inches (deep)
3/4 PAGE (3 cols.)
7 inches (wide) x 13 inches (deep)
1/2 PAGE VERTICAL (2 cols.)
4 1/2 inches (wide) x 13 inches (deep)
1/2 PAGE HORIZONTAL
9 1/8 inches (wide) x 6 1/2 inches (deep)
1/2 JUNIOR PAGE (3 cols.)
7 inches (wide) x 5 inches (deep)
1/4 PAGE (2 cols.)
4 1/2 inches (wide) x 6 1/2 inches (deep)
1/4 PAGE (single column)
2 1/6 inches (wide) x 13 inches (deep)
4. Orders for black and one-color advertisements should state color desired. All colors must be converted to CMYK format.
5. All composition by publisher will be charged at going commercial rates.
6. Electronic files will be held for a limited time. Disks will only be returned upon request.
1. No bleed charge.
2. b. Mechanical requirements. Trim measurements are listed in inches below. An additional 1⁄8” bleed allowance must be added to all four sides. Bleeds should be
set to accommodate both right and left hand page placement. Live matter should be
kept a minimum of 1⁄4” from all trim edges.
|Full page bleed||10 1⁄4||14 1⁄4|
|Junior page bleed||7 3⁄8||10 3⁄4|
|Three-quarter page bleed||7 3⁄8||14 1⁄4|
|One-half page vertical page bleed||5||14 1⁄4|
|One-half page horizontal bleed||10 1⁄4||7 1⁄4|
|One-half junior page bleed||7 3⁄8||5 5⁄8|
|One-half junior spread bleed||14 1⁄2||5 5⁄8|
|One-half horizontal spread bleed||20 1⁄2||7 1⁄4|
|Junior page spread bleed||14 3⁄4||10 3⁄4|
|Full page spread bleed||20 1⁄2||14 1⁄4|
One or two columns, 14 lines. One- or two-column advertisements exceeding 168 lines in depth will take full-column rates. Three- and four-column advertisements must be full-column depth, excepting horizontal half pages, junior pages and half junior pages. The 10 inches adjacent to junior page may be purchased at regular line rate.
ELECTRONIC MATERIAL SUBMISSION
All advertising materials must be received in digital form. Hoard’s Dairyman is composed on Macintoshes utilizing formats supported below.
- Media: CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-R, DVD RW and Flash Drive.
- Programs: QuarkXPress 4.1-6.5; Adobe Creative Package CS-CC.
- PDF files must be set at CMYK format with all fonts embedded, and all text and images created at a maximum resolution. See www.hoards.com for submission format information.
- Fonts: All fonts used to create the file must be included as Postscript fonts. Fonts not received as Postscript fonts will be matched at the publisher’s discretion.
- Colors: All colors must be provided in CMYK format. Colors received in a different format other than CMYK may be converted to CMYK by the publisher.
- Images: All image files must be submitted as JPEG, TIF or EPS files. Photo images must be CMYK and have a minimum resolution of 300 dpi. Web graphics cannot be used in print media. Adobe Illustrator or Macromedia Freehand files must be submitted as EPS files with supporting postscript fonts, and if emailed, be compressed either in to a Macintosh self-extracting archive (.sea, .sit or .hqx) or within a .zip file.
- Directory: A screen shot or printed directory must be included with the disk or other media. The disk must be labeled with the program/version as well as the name of the submitting party and the ad the disk contains.
- Proofs: A SWOP certified proof must accompany the supplied disk. If no color match proof is provided by the customer, the ad will be printed at the pressmen’s discretion, to “pleasing color”.
- FTP/Email Submissions: Through ftp program – Hostname: ftp.hoards.com; Username: dairy; Password: dairy. Upload ads to Hoard’s Dairyman Incoming Ads folder. Ads submitted via email should be sent to email@example.com.
- Issues of Hoard’s Dairyman are searchable through our online database. Advertisements may be searchable provided the ad materials arrive in our office as high resolution PDF files created in InDesign, QuarkXpress or Adobe Illustrator. Text should not be converted to outlines.
1. A wide variety of insert formats can be stitched or tipped into the magazine. An insert sample or dummy should be submitted for prior approval.
2. Inserts should be printed on no less than 50-lb. (20 x 38 basis) paper stock. A 1/4-inch head trim allowance is required for all inserts, which jog to the head (top) of the magazine.
3. Inserts should be shipped folded and ready for insertion, packaged to minimize damage, curling and unintentional folding is extremely important.
4. Two-page inserts must have no less than a 3-1/2 inch binding hanger. Other requirements are on a case-by-case basis, depending upon insert format and other criteria.
5. Inserts should be shipped no later than 15 days preceding issue date to: Hoard's Dairyman, 28 W. Milwaukee Ave., Fort Atkinson, WI 53538; Attn: Gayle Grandt.
6. We have the ability to print inserts. Call Estimating Department at Hoard's for a quote (920.563.5551).