Hoard's Dairyman Mechanic Requirements and Submission Details
1. Trim size: 10-1/4 inches by 14-1/4 inches
2. Column dimensions:
Single-column width — 13 picas (2-1/6 inches)
Double-column width — 27 picas (4-1/2 inches)
Column depth — 182 lines or 13 inches
3. Ad dimensions:
9-1/8 inches (wide) x 13 inches (deep)
JUNIOR PAGE (429 lines)
7 inches (wide) x 10 inches (deep)
3/4 PAGE (3 cols.)
7 inches (wide) x 13 inches (deep)
1/2 PAGE (1 cols.)
4 1/2 inches (wide) x 13 inches (deep)
1/2 PAGE (horizontal)
9 1/8 inches (wide) x 6 1/2 inches (deep)
1/2 JUNIOR PAGE (3 cols.)
7 inches (wide) x 5 inches (deep)
1/4 PAGE (2 cols.)
4 1/2 inches (wide) x 6 1/2 inches (deep)
1/4 PAGE (single column)
2 1/6 inches (wide) x 13 inches (deep)
FULL PAGE SPREAD
19 1/2 inches (wide) x 13 inches (deep)
14 3/4 inches (wide) x 10 3/16 inches (deep)
1/2 JUNIOR SPREAD
14 3/4 inches (wide) x 5 inches (deep)
1/2 HORIZONTAL SPREAD
19 1/2 inches (wide) x 6 1/2 inches (deep)
4. Orders for black and one-color advertisements should state color desired. All colors must be converted to CMYK format. Specific Pantone colors may be accepted with an additional charge of $250. Order must specify the exact Pantone color desired.
5. All composition by publisher will be charged at going commercial rates.
6. Electronic files will be held for a limited time. Disks will only be returned upon request.
1. No bleed charge. Minimum size one-half page.
2. Mechanical requirements:
* Full-page bleed — Material size 10-1/2 x 14-1/2; trim size 10-1/4 x 14-1/4; live matter centered 9-3/4 x 13-3/4.
* Full-page spread bleed — Material size 21 x 14-1/2; trim size 20-1/2 x 14-1/4; live matter centered 19-1/2 x 13-3/4.
* Junior unit bleed — Material size 7-5/8 x 11-1/4; live matter centered 7 x 10-1/4.
* Junior spread bleed — Material size 14-3/4 x 11; live matter centered 14 x 10-1/2.
* 3/4 page bleed — Material size 7-5/8 x 14-1/2; live matter centered 7-1/8 x 13-3/4.
* 1/2 vertical page bleed — Material size 5-1/4 x 14-1/2; live matter centered 4-1/2 x 13-3/4.
* 1/2 horizontal page bleed — Material size 10-1/2 x 7-1/4; live matter centered
9-3/4 x 6-3/4.
* 1/2 junior spread bleed — Material size 14-3/4 x 5-3/4; live matter centered 14 x 5.
* Horizontal 1/2 page spread bleed — Material size 21 x 7-1/4.
One or two columns, 14 lines. One- or two-column advertisements exceeding 168 lines in depth will take full-column rates. Three- and four-column advertisements must be full-column depth, excepting horizontal half pages, junior pages and half junior pages. The 10 inches adjacent to junior page may be purchased at regular line rate.
ELECTRONIC MATERIAL SUBMISSION
All new advertising materials must be received in digital form. Materials received as film will be converted into an electronic file at an additional cost to the advertiser. The following formats and programs are available to advertisers wishing to submit information to us in an electronic manner. Please note that the Dairyman is constructed on Apple Macintosh computers — the PC formats noted are the only ones supported.
1. Media: CD-R and CD-RW - Mac & PC; DVD-R and DVD-RW - Mac & PC.
2. Software programs (Mac & PC): QuarkXPress versions 4.1 to 6.5; Adobe Creative Package CS-CS4
***NOTE***Do NOT send advertisements created in MicroSoft Word, MicroSoft PowerPoint, MicroSoft Excel, Word Perfect or any other word processing program as the files and embedded graphics are unusable in the print industry.)
3. Fonts: Due to the requirements of digitally processing the magazine, only Postscript fonts can be used in non-PDF documents. Bitmap fonts are not supported in most programs and TrueType fonts (PC) cannot be used at all. Fonts not received as Postscript fonts will be matched and substituted for same at publisher's discretion. Contact Hoard's art director if you have a question concerning font usage.
4. Images: All image files must be submitted as either Jpeg (.jpg), Tiff (.tif) or EPS (.eps) files. All images must be converted to or saved as CMYK and have a resolution of no lower than 300 dpi. Web graphics and RGB files cannot be used in print media. Adobe Illustrator and MacroMedia Freehand files must be submitted as EPS files accompanied with the supporting Postscript fonts (you may convert all text into shapes to omit font-dependancy).
5. FTP/Email Submissions: Using ftp software enter FTP address - Host: 220.127.116.11; Username - dairy; Password - dairy. Upload ads to Incoming ads in the Hoard’s Dairyman Incoming ads folder. Ads submitted via email should be send to firstname.lastname@example.org. Fax ad proof to: Gayle Grandt (920)563-7298. Ads submitted without color match proof will be run to pleasing color.
6. Directory: A screen-shot or printed directory must be included with the disk or other media. The disk must be labeled with the software programs and version as well as the name of the submitting party and the ad the disk contains.
7. Proofs: A digital or laser copy of the file must accompany the supplied disk. A color match is required for all color ads. If no color match proof is provided by the customer, the ad will be printed at the pressman's discretion, using "pleasing color."
1. A wide variety of insert formats can be stitched or tipped into the magazine. An insert sample or dummy should be submitted for prior approval.
2. Inserts should be printed on no less than 50-lb. (20 x 38 basis) paper stock. A 1/4-inch head trim allowance is required for all inserts, which jog to the head (top) of the magazine.
3. Inserts should be shipped folded and ready for insertion, packaged to minimize damage, curling and unintentional folding is extremely important.
4. Two-page inserts must have no less than a 3-1/2 inch binding hanger. Other requirements are on a case-by-case basis, depending upon insert format and other criteria.
5. Inserts should be shipped no later than 15 days preceding issue date to: Hoard's Dairyman, 28 W. Milwaukee Ave., Fort Atkinson, WI 53538; Attn: Gayle Grandt.
6. We have the ability to print inserts. Call Estimating Department at Hoard's for a quote (920.563.5551).